— Dan Beachy-Quick, A Whaler’s Dictionary, 2008 (via mythofblue)
- Heimat (n): A German word without direct English translation, indicating the relationship of a human being towards a certain spatial social unit, contrasting social alienation and usually carries positive connotations, and is often expressed with terms such as home or homeland.
- Quintessence (n): The most perfect or typical example of a quality or class; The aspect of something regarded as the intrinsic and central constituent of its character.
- Invidious (adj): Likely to arouse or incur resentment or anger in other; Unfairly discriminating; unjust.
- Immolate (v): Kill or offer as a sacrifice, especially by burning
- Coquette (n): A woman who flirts; someone exhibiting flirtatious behavior
- Jocund (n): Cheerful and lighthearted.
- Lassitude (n): A state of physical or mental weariness; lack of energy.
- Somnolence (n): A state of extreme fatigue caused by lack of sleep; sleepiness
- Decorticate (v; adj): Remove the bark, rind, or husk from; Of or relating to an animal that has had the cortex of the brain removed or separated.
- Developable (adj):To bring out the capabilities or possibilities of; bring to a more advanced or effective state; to cause to grow or expand; to elaborate or expand in detail; to bring into being or activity; to transfer the details of (a more or less two-dimensional design, pattern, or the like) from one surface, especially one that is prismatic or cylindrical, onto another, usually planar, in such a way that the distances between points remain the same.