• Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres, The Apotheosis of Homer, 1827

  • National Capitol Columns, Washington D.C., 2010 (via barphoto)

  • Friedrich von Gärtner + Leo von Klenze, Befreiungshalle, Kelheim, Germany,  1842-68

  • Sir Banister Fletcher, “Evolution of the Corinthian Capital" from A History of Architecture, 1950

  • Thomas ColeL’Allegro, 1845

  • Bernard de Montfaucon, “Representations of Janus" from L’antiquité expliquée et représentée en figures, c. 1720

  • For the last couple of generations, traditional architecture and modern architecture in the city have been set on opposite sides of a firm divide. Not for nothing did Tom Wolfe portray Charlie Croker as living in an old mansion in Buckhead while making his money as a builder of glass office towers along the interstate. Wolfe had it exactly right. In Atlanta, that’s what you do once you hit a certain demographic category. Classical architecture is what you live in, and modern architecture is what you work in. The number of modern houses of significant quality in Atlanta is very small. Atlantans want to live in Philip Trammell Shutze houses, but they expect to go to work in John Portman towers.

    —  Paul Goldberger, Athens on the Interstate, 1999

  • Henry Hornbostel, Callanwolde, Atlanta, GA, 1917

  • Leo von Klenze, Walhalla Temple, Regensburg, Germany, 1807-42

    "The Walhalla is a hall of fame that honors laudable and distinguished people, famous personalities in German history — politicians, sovereigns, scientists and artists of the German tongue”. The hall is housed in a neo-classical building above the Danube River, east of Regensburg, in Bavaria, Germany. The Walhalla is named for Valhalla of Norse mythology. It was conceived in 1807 by Crown Prince Ludwig, who built it upon ascending the throne of Bavaria as King Ludwig I. Construction took place between 1830 and 1842, under the supervision of architect Leo von Klenze. The memorial displays some 65 plaques and 130 busts of persons, covering 2,000 years of history — the earliest person honored is Arminius, victor at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest (9 AD).”

  • James Hoban, North Elevation of the White House, c. 1793

    "The White House is the official residence and principal workplace of the President of the United States. Located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest, Washington, D.C., the house was designed by Irish-born James Hoban, and built between 1792 and 1800 of white-painted Aquia Creek sandstone in the Neoclassical style. It has been the residence of every U.S. president since John Adams. When Thomas Jefferson moved into the house in 1801, he (with architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe) expanded the building outward, creating two colonnades that were meant to conceal stables and storage. In 1814, during the War of 1812, the mansion was set ablaze by the British Army in the Burning of Washington, destroying the interior and charring much of the exterior. Reconstruction began almost immediately, and President James Monroe moved into the partially reconstructed house in October 1817. Construction continued with the addition of the South Portico in 1824 and the North in 1829. Because of crowding within the executive mansion itself, President Theodore Roosevelt had all work offices relocated to the newly constructed West Wing in 1901. Eight years later, President William Howard Taft expanded the West Wing and created the first Oval Office which was eventually moved as the section was expanded. The third-floor attic was converted to living quarters in 1927 by augmenting the existing hip roof with long shed dormers. A newly constructed East Wing was used as a reception area for social events; Jefferson’s colonnades connected the new wings. East Wing alterations were completed in 1946, creating additional office space. By 1948, the house’s load-bearing exterior walls and internal wood beams were found to be close to failure. Under Harry S. Truman, the interior rooms were completely dismantled and a new internal load-bearing steel frame constructed inside the walls. Once this work was completed, the interior rooms were rebuilt.”

  • Charles Cockerell, Ashmolean Museum and Taylor Institution at Oxford University, Oxford, England, 1839-45 (via shep)

    "The Ashmolean is the world’s first university museum. Its first building was built in 1678–1683 to house the cabinet of curiosities Elias Ashmole gave Oxford University in 1677.” de Botton relays that Charles Cockerell’s design has been described as criminal since he decided “to place massive Ionic columns, which could have supported four storeys’ worth of masonry, around the outside of the building , where they carried nothing heavier than pots and statues, while leaving the real weight of the structure to be borne by another set of columns concealed within the walls.” 

  • Jean-Léon Gérôme, Diogenes, 1860

  • Francis Terry, Graffiting in Banksy’s Tunnel, 2011

    "On the 1st of April Architect Francis Terry, son of Quinlan Terry entered the unfamiliar territory of "Banksy’s Tunnel" in London’s Leake Street to spend the whole day treating the graffitied walls as a classical facade. Using his knowledge of Renaissance ornament and proportion he attempted to bring harmony and order to the chaos and confusion."

  • Ben Moore, “Three Classicists: Ben Pentreath, George Saumarez Smith and Francis Terry,” Kowalsky Gallery, London, England, 2010